The Lockheed P-38 Lightning is a World War II American piston-engine fighter aircraft. Developed to a US Army Air Corps requisite, the P-38 had distinctive twin booms and a central nacelle containing the cockpit and armament. Allied propaganda claimed it had been nicknamed the fork-tailed devil by the Luftwaffe and "two planes, one pilot" by the Japanese. This aircraft was used for interception, dive bombing, level bombing, ground attack, night fighting, radar and visual path finding for bombers and evacuation missions, as well as a long-range escort fighter when equipped with drop tanks under its wings.
The legendary P-38 “Lightning” was designed by a skillful team of engineers led by Clarence Johnson and Hal Hibbard, and was the only American fighter that was continually produced from before Pearl Harbor in 1941 to after the Japanese surrender in 1945. Over 9,900 P-38s were built, 3,810 of which were the superior P-38L variant.
FlightLineRC’s P-38L Lightning is a 1600 mm wingspan, semi-scale flying replica molded from EPO foam that represents the pinnacle of engineering for a foam electric P-38. It is the largest mass-produced foam electric P-38 in the world, with a high level of quality and scale fidelity. This model was designed for easy operation. Its outer wings disassemble with four screws for convenient transportation and allowing the aircraft to sit on all three wheels without the outer wings attached. The horizontal stabilizer can also be removed with screws for maintenance or replacement.
FlightLineRC’s P-38 Lightning PNP is equipped with two 3748 brushless outrunner motors and two 12x7 3-blade counter-rotating propellers for the perfect scale appearance. With the recommended 4S 14.8v 5000mAh (one battery per side or a single battery with your series adapter), the P-38 boasts sufficient power for large consecutive loops and a level top speed of 81mph. An optional “High Power Upgrade Set” can be purchased separately to obtain a level top speed of 94mph.
- Scale profile, accurate wing diherdral, and precisely modeled overall aircraft proportions
- Removable outer wings for easy transport
- Scale three blade propeller achieves 81 mph and vertical climbing capability
- Four different decal sets included inside the box for you to choose from
- Day-bright LEDs
- Large cabin space for easy placement of the battery and radio equipment
- Improved spinner and propeller mounting design to enable better balance
- Durable Electric retractable landing gear with metal trunions and 4mm steel wire struts
- Sequenced plastic gear doors for realistic operation
- Tall foam rubber wheels for optimal handling on paved surfaces and short, evenly cut grass fields
- Motor, ESC, servos and retracts pre-assembled
- Minimum 6 Channel Radio (7 Channel required if using an optional gyro)
- 6 Channel Receiver
- Two 4 Cell 14.8V 2500mAh to 3000mAh LiPo battery with T Connector
- One 4 Cell 14.8v 5000mAh battery with EC5 connector (NOTE: will require an EC5-to-two-T-connector adapter)
- Lipo battery charger
|Experience level||Intermediate / Advanced|
|Wingspan||1600 mm / 63 in|
|Overall length||1168 mm / 46 in|
|Empty weight||3150 g / 6.94 lbs|
|Power system||3748-600Kv Brushless Outrunner Motor (Stock scale power system)|
|Speed control||60A Brushless with T connector|
|Propeller||12x7 3 Blade Propeller / 12x8 2 Blade Propeller High Performance Version (optional)|
|Radio||6+ Channel 2.4GHz|
|Servos||9g standard with 300mm lead: nose gear door 9g metal gear reverse with 300mm lead: nose gear steering, right outboard flap, right inboard flap 9g metal gear standard with 300mm lead: left outboard flap, left inboard flap, left aileron, right aileron 9g standard reverse with 550mm lead: left gear door 9g standard with 550mm lead: right gear door 17g metal gear standard with 300mm lead: elevator 9g metal gear standard with 100mm lead: left rudder, right rudder|
|Battery||2500-3000 mAh Two 4S 14.8v batteries with T-connector / 5000mAh One 4S 14.8v battery with EC5 connector (will require an EC5-to-two-T-connector adapter)|
|Assembly time (approx.)||3-4 hours|